|History Articles||Back to History Archive|
The following was taken from the Souvenir Edition of the The Middletown Tribune, dated 1896. It was lent to us for this reproduction by Mike Giuliano, a local resident. Excerpts include short articles regarding the churches that existed in Portland at the time, and some of their histories. The writing itself is classic late nineteenth century, and gives an extraordinary view of the time period.
This church was organized in 1874 and the present pastor, Rev. D.P. Ahlquist, from Marshalltown, Iowa, who was installed December 11, 1883, is the fourth pastor the society has had.
The original house of worship was erected on Waverly Avenue in 1879, but it was rebuilt and enlarged in 1883, and will now comfortably accommodate about 500 people.