The Assessor is responsible for discovering, listing and valuing all taxable and non-taxable property located in town. Connecticut law requires us to list and value all real (e.g., land, houses, stores, etc.) and personal (e.g., motor vehicles, business equipment, etc.) property. This is an annual cycle with an assessment date of October 1. It's the Assessor's responsibility to insure all values are properly and uniformly made and that the grand list is a true and accurate report of all taxable and tax exempt property in the jurisdiction. Assessed values in Connecticut are based on 70% of fair market value. In addition the Town is required to perform a state mandated revaluation every 5 years.
The Town of Portland completed a revaluation for the 2016 grand list.
Other responsibilities of the Assessor's Office include:
- updating ownership of real estate parcels upon transfer of title
- inspecting all permit activity within the town
- adjusting motor vehicle accounts for vehicles that have either been sold, stolen, salvaged or registered out of state
- maintaining tax relief programs for the elderly, disabled and armed forces veterans
- administering programs designed to preserve farm and forest land
PA490 Applications: Farm / Forest
Questions regarding billing, taxes due, amounts paid and interest should be directed to theTax Collector's Office 860-342-6737 View tax payments and taxes owed