Frequently Asked Questions

What Congressional District are we in?

All of Portland is in the 1st Congressional District and the 33rd Senatorial District.

I will be out of town during the upcoming election. How can I vote?

Application for absentee ballots are available to eligible voters through the Town Clerk's Office. Ballots for elections, primaries and referenda are issued in accordance with state statutes and are generally available one month prior to the voting date.

To register to vote in Connecticut, you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen 

  • be a resident of a Connecticut municipality 

  • be at least 18 years of age on or before the next election 

  • not be convicted of a felony 

  • Registration forms may be obtained online as well as in many public places, including

  • libraries, motor vehicles offices, supermarkets, town and state offices.

  • Your registration is subject to the approval of the municipal registrars of voters.