Getting Married in Portland?


If you are getting married in the Town of Portland, you will need to apply for your license in the Town Clerk’s Office, Ground Floor,Town Hall. Once issued, the marriage license is good for 65 days. There is no waiting period between applying for and receiving your license.

BOTH applicants must appear in the office to sign the Marriage License and present photo ID's such as a driver's license or passport. Please bring in a completed marriage license worksheet or fill it out in the office. We advise couples to apply for their license about two weeks before the ceremony. Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to closing in order to process the Marriage License. 

The fee for a marriage license is $50.00. We suggest that the couple order and pre-pay an additional $20.00 for each certified copy of the marriage license, which will be mailed to them automatically upon our receipt of the marriage certificate after the ceremony. A certified copy is required by social security and DMV to make a name change. We accept cash, personal checks, and credit cards.

The Town Clerk's office is frequently asked whether our staff is responsible for legally changing a bride's last name with Social Security Administration once she has been married. There are no provisions with the Connecticut Statutes to allow Town Clerks to perform this service. However, if you click here you can access the necessary form to submit to SSA along with a certified copy of your marriage license.

We are happy to provide the couple with a list of Portland Justices of the Peace. Arrangements can be made directly with the Justice you select. Please click here for the list of Justices of the Peace.

For further information, please call the Town Clerk’s Office at (860) 342-6743.