top of page

Office of the Town Clerk

Contact Information

Town Clerk

Michael Tierney

33 East Main Street

Phone: 860-342-6743

Assistant Town Clerk
Elizabeth Morand

33 East Main Street

Phone:  860-342-6742

Dept. Fax: 860-342-0001

Office Hours

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.


8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Note, the Town Hall will be closed on Monday June 19th in observance of Juneteenth

News and Announcements

Town Clerk’s Office Seeking Portland’s

“Top Dog”

IT’S BACK!  The Portland Town Clerk’s office is once again accepting donations of dog and cat food as part of our annual contest to determine which dog will wear the No. 1 dog tag for the upcoming year.  The pet food collected will go to the Portland Food Bank, for those in temporary need.


Entry is easy, just donate cans/ bags of dog or cat food when registering your dog at the Town Clerk’s Office between now and June 30th. For each can/ bag donated, your dog will earn a ticket for a drawing to be held at 11:00 am on June 30th.  Limit of 16 tickets per dog.  The first three tickets chosen will receive the #1, #2, and #3 dog tags.


All dog owners must obtain a license or renew their current licenses between June 1st and June 30th for the fiscal year beginning July 1.   The state-mandated registration fee is $8 for a spayed/ neutered dog, and $19 for a non-spayed/ non-neutered dog.  Certificate of spayed/ neutered must be provided for first time licenses to receive the $8 fee amount.  A rabies vaccination certificate must also be provided for first time licenses or if the previous vaccination has expired. 


More information can be found at


2023 DEEP Fishing Guides have arrived. 

2023 Hunting Guides are also available.  Please stop in for a copy.

New DEEP Fishing Regulations effective

December 27, 2022 (Click here)


We are happy to announce that we have completed our

2022-2023 land records indexing project. 

Volumes, 21, 22, 23 & 24 are now scanned and indexed. 

They are available electronically on the US Land Records System, and at the public access computers in our office.  


About the Town Clerk's Office

The office of the Town Clerk has been serving the residents of Portland since 1841. While the clerk’s duties have varied over the years, municipal record keeping has remained the foundation of the office. 

Today the Town Clerk's Office serves as the hub for hunting/fishing licenses, notarizing, trade name certificates, dog licenses, the issuing of absentee ballots, and also serves as the registrar of vital statistics.

Our office is continually striving to provide the most efficient services to our residents and taxpayers while maintaining the high level of customer service that has always distinguished this office. Our land records are now accessible online from 1850 through the present. Please visit us on our web site or in person – we look forward to assisting you!

Public Notifications

Land Records Now Available Online

Please note, printed survey maps copies are available in the Town Clerk's Office.  Index books are available in the office for your reference

(Letter/ legal sized maps $1 each / 11" x 17" maps $2 each / Large maps $5 each)

Town Clerk Legal Notices

bottom of page